Thinking about getting into the IT field, but not sure where to start? IT Certifications are the fastest way to prove that you have what it takes to land the job you want. CompTIA Security+ is one of the most recognized industry certifications, and the skills it requires are in high demand. If you are looking to start a career in IT security or cybersecurity, this is one certification you should consider pursuing.
The Big “Why”
5,095. That’s the number of jobs currently listed on one primary job board for people holding a CompTIA Security+ Certification. And 4,860 of them are full-time positions. 1,053 of them offer salaries more than $100,000.
- Systems Administrator- $64k
- Information Security Analyst – $70k
- Cyber Security Analyst- $74k
- Information Technology Specialist- $59k
- Network Administrator- $60k
- Systems Engineer (Computer Networking / IT)- $74k
- Cyber Security Engineer- $92k
- Information Security Officer- $83k
- Information Technology (IT) Support Specialist- $52k
- Information Security Specialist- $72k
- Help Desk Technician- $43k
These jobs are all over the country at every level, from entry to senior. Some of the companies seeking Security+ certified individuals include Northrup Grumman, Raytheon, AT&T, Unisys, Booz Allen Hamilton, the US Army and Airforce, and more.
A Day in the Life of You and Your CompTIA Security+ Certification
Large corporations and organizations are likeliest to have security experts on staff. Smaller companies usually engage a service provider. Some Security+ certificate holders prefer working for these service providers because they provide constant new challenges as they move from client to client.
You’ll work closely with other technical experts and business managers to determine their security needs. Part of your job will be keeping yourself and your employer informed on the latest threats and exploits and how to protect against them. You’ll be taking much of that action yourself. Problem-solvers will excel in security positions as they examine traffic logs across their network, seeking anomalous patterns that may attempt to penetrate.
Little will be “routine” in these positions. Each day (and probably some nights) will bring fresh new challenges as you work to determine at what level and within which protocol problems occur.
Areas Included in Certification Training for CompTIA Security+
THREATS, ATTACKS & VULNERABILITIES: Detect various types of compromise and understand penetration testing and vulnerability scanning concepts.
TECHNOLOGIES & TOOLS: Install, configure, and deploy network components while assessing and troubleshooting issues to support organizational security.
ARCHITECTURE & DESIGN: Implement secure network architecture concepts and systems design.
IDENTITY & ACCESS MANAGEMENT: Install and configure identity and access services, as well as management controls
RISK MANAGEMENT: Implement and summarize risk management best practices and the business impact.
CRYPTOGRAPHY & PKI: Install and configure wireless security settings and implement the critical public infrastructure.
The CompTIA Security+ Advantage
CompTIA Security+ is the industry standard for validating baseline skills needed to perform core security functions and pursue an IT security career. CompTIA Security+ is approved by the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD), which is an excellent benefit for those who already have security clearance and are looking for jobs that will allow them to keep it.
- No other certification that assesses baseline cybersecurity skills has performance-based questions on the exam. Security+ emphasizes hands-on practical skills, ensuring the security professional is better prepared to solve a wider variety of issues.
- More choose Security+ for DoD 8570 compliance than any other certification.
- Security+ focuses on the latest trends and techniques in risk management, risk mitigation, threat management, and intrusion detection.
- The new Security+ certification covers the Junior IT Auditor/Penetration Tester job role, in addition to the previous job roles for Systems Administrator, Network Administrator, and Security Administrator.
Security is Needed Everywhere
When experts talk about networking, processors, data storage, and everything that goes into building a network, some may ask where Security fits in. The answer is “Yes”; it fits in everywhere. We’ve all heard about the many significant databases that are being compromised regularly. There’s a significant need for more skilled personnel to protect organizations against these threats.
Become part of the solution to one of the most widely recognized problems in today’s digital world. Check out our CompTIA Security+ certification programs to get started.
Still not sure which certification is right for you? We can help! Reach out to talk to one of our certified Career Consultants. We’ve worked with students to get the certifications they need for the careers they deserve.